December 5, 2012

Bookshelf Make Over

 This is the main bookshelf in the living room. I've had it for awhile now and I really like the dark color of it. I've been wanting to touch it up a little, give it some more color, but I couldn't decide on how to do that. If it was a wooden bookshelf I would have painted the back of it. But it's not. It's that fake, cardboardy stuff that kind of bends and wouldn't hold the paint. Then I thought about putting wallpaper on it, but I couldn't really find any that I liked. So I moved on to fabric. I figured I'd only need about a yard, but it wasn't in my price range. That's when I settled on a table cloth from WalMart. $1.74 for the table cloth and the modge podge was already laying around. I had to cut the pieces to size, take all the books off, and glue them on. Voila!
 I know it doesn't create a dramatic difference, but it's just enough to make me smile when I look at it. I get to keep the dark colors, but I also get some of the greens and browns from the dining room table and chairs. It all ties together nicely.
This is the close up of what each shelf looks like.

No comments:

About Me

I'm a happily married mother of two perfect little boys. I love my family, living in the South, reading, and teaching.