December 3, 2012

New, DIY Coasters

I really needed some coasters and I couldn't find any that I liked, so I decided to make some myself. I searched Pinterest (of course) for ideas and found one I thought was pretty cute. I modified so that it fit with my style, but the basic instructions helped. My sister made some coasters too so I waited until a weekend we'd both be in Jackson to do them. I bought 10 plain white tiles at Lowes, 5 pieces of scrapbook paper and some modge podge at Hobby Lobby, and had the paint brush at home. Haley gave me the idea to mix and match with the S - super smart, that sister of mine - so it was just a matter of combinations. I'm not one of those people who can visualize what I want. I have to actually see it. So I cut out a bunch of squares to fit the tiles and a bunch of S's to go on them. Then I started laying out the combinations. When I found 5 I liked, I used each one twice to make 10. I put a layer of modge podge on the tiles and then put on the base paper. Once that dried I put a coat of modge podge on the base. After that I glued on the S's then added several layers of modge podge over the whole thing. Overall I think they turned out super cute. If a glass stays on there too long the modge podge starts to melt? and I can see a ring of white. I think I'm going to have to do a top coat of clear spray paint or something. Score 1 for me in the DIY ring.

No comments:

About Me

I'm a happily married mother of two perfect little boys. I love my family, living in the South, reading, and teaching.