February 24, 2018

5 Minute Writing Prompt: Your Childhood Bedroom

My childhood bedroom will always be at 555 Bradford Drive. I shared it with my sisters. At one point there was a queen bed (that's still at my mom's house) and a white bunk bed. We weren't allowed to sleep in the bunk bed together because we laughed and played too much. We had a dark dresser where I kept many books. It was also my dresser as a teenager. Doilies were involved. We also had a CD player that made me feel like I was older than my few meager years. That bedroom always makes me think of the country greats of the 90s -Shania Twain, John Michael Montgomery, George Strait, Garth Brooks- and the CD Hide 'Em in Your Heart. I also think of the time we were so 'bad' that my mom came in to talk to us, and she cried. Which, of course, made all of us cry, too. I'm pretty sure I had a New Kids on the Block poster on the back of a door, but I never really listened to them. I remember waiting in my bed on Christmas Eve to see if I could 'catch' Santa. I'd wake up and go in, only to see my parents watching tv. A few hours later I'd wake up again, and all of the presents would be there. Ever since we sold that house, I've wanted to go back and see that room. But, I think it would make me sad for it to be different.

No comments:

About Me

I'm a happily married mother of two perfect little boys. I love my family, living in the South, reading, and teaching.