February 20, 2018

I'm a Bad Republican...

I've been thinking a lot lately about gun control. I mean, who hasn't? The tragedy in Florida is only one of countless other school shootings. Not to mention, movie theaters, malls, homes, churches, etc. I'm not a very good Republican. I don't follow all issues along party lines. Some I do - I'm pro-choice, pro-traditional marriage, pro-arming teachers. But I'm also pro-gun control. I think some of the reasons people are up in arms (pun intended) about gun control is that it's misunderstood. Gun control doesn't say you can't buy a gun. It's not taking away your "right to bear arms." Gun control says, "Go ahead and buy a gun. But first let's check your criminal and mental history." How is that a bad thing? We already know we don't want criminals having guns, but we're legally selling guns to them anyway. There's a big deal about mental health issues, but we're legally selling guns to them anyway. Will gun control solve all shootings? Of course not! The heart of the problem is sin and that we live in a fallen world. Until Jesus returns, people are going to make these terrible decisions that have terrible consequences. But, to me, it doesn't make sense not to have some sort of control of weapons. I mean, I can't go to Walmart and buy Advil Cold and Sinus, but I can buy a gun. ?? Also, why are assault rifles even sold? Are you going to shoot a deer or a duck with an AK-47? No. (I assume - I'm not much of a hunter) You know the phrase, "Nothing good happens after midnight."? Well, nothing good happens with an assault rifle. No one is saying people should surrender all of their guns and not defend themselves. But, seriously, why is it so ridiculous to want some sort of plan to make things better?

No comments:

About Me

I'm a happily married mother of two perfect little boys. I love my family, living in the South, reading, and teaching.