April 21, 2012

A Learning Experience

This morning was not good. One of Kaleb's friends from daycare had her birthday party today and we were really excited to go. Kaleb's just now starting to get the concept of the birthday party so he knew there would be cake and presents and fun. The only problem is that he thought it would be HIS cake and HIS presents. This obviously caused some problems throughout the party. When we got there everything was fine because they were all just playing. But after they ate their hotdogs he started getting mad that he couldn't have any cake yet. When they did start singing happy birthday to the birthday girl, Kaleb threw an all-out throw-down fit! I was holding him and he was kicking and screaming and thrashing and crying. I was SO embarassed! I took him outside and made him calm down, all the while I was trying to hold back my own tears. Now, I know that he hasn't been to many birthday parties other than his own so I understand the confusion and frustration of not getting to be the center of attention. Still, he can't act like that. We made him apologize to the birthday girl when he finally calmed down enough to go back inside, but I just knew we'd have another meltdown when present time came.
Kaleb told her he was sorry and ate his cake and ice cream, then they went to play again. When it was time to open presents, all the little guests were taking the presents into the living room so the birthday girl could open them. Kaleb was the only one who tried to open the presents. Now, the other guests aren't a whole lot older than him. In fact, one was younger. But he was the only one to throw a tantrum that he didn't get to open the presents himself. Eric took him outside that time and I stayed inside, surely red-faced. I know that if I had seen another child act the way Kaleb did I wouldn't have judged because kids are ego-centric at this age. But since it was my kid I started questioning my parenting abilities. I know that I'm a little lax with him when it comes to discipline, but I think that's going to have to change. I don't like spanking, but I like being embarassed in front of my friends even less. So I guess you could call today a learning experience.

No comments:

About Me

I'm a happily married mother of two perfect little boys. I love my family, living in the South, reading, and teaching.